Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Making Cthuhlu part 2

"Awakening in R'lyeh" 2014 Jacob Walker

Mr Squid face is complete. Like most paintings, this one felt like a roller coaster ride. Started strong, going up the tracks and them free fall, I lost sight of where it was going and threw my hands up, aaaahhhh. I've been painting long enough to know how to handle this, just hand on tight and you'll make it through. Only this time I wanted to be a little more in control, and faster. 

This is one of my working shots. I was losing focus on where and how to proceed so I took a pic and dropped it in photoshop. I would show that but seem to have deleted it. I painted over it and pushed and pulled value and hue for about an hour. This gave me a road map. I felt in control and shaved hours off the painting. This is a new practice (at least for me) that I think will be handy.

Also along the way I threw the image up for a quick crit got some good feedback from Jeremy McHugh. If I had taken a little more time to step back away from the piece I think I would have seen the lighting issues that Jeremy pointed out in his supper fast paint over (right). Big thanks sir. I always helps to have art friends look at your work, especially when they are better artist than you are. I should also thank Mr. Steve Prescott for some pointers on how to seal a printed image and your paper. For this painting, I printed my sketch on art paper and used some clear gesso to seal it and the paper. Easy!

Here is the art in the final card layout that I designed. The project should be hitting kickstarter in March. Thats all for this time.


No comments: