Monday, June 17, 2013

Origins 2013, "Best Color Art with Traditional Media" award!


I have attended Origins for many years but this year was the first time I have ever had a booth. It was great for many reasons.

Perhaps the best part of the show was the time spent chatting with the other artist, most of which I had not met before. In particular Charles Urbach and Ed Beard Jr. were great about giving me advise and direction.  I really enjoyed meeting Larry Elmore and his buddy Travis Lewis for the first time and chatting with Talon Dunning who I met at last years show and bumped into at Spectrum last month. I also had drinks and ate with Jim Dietz, the Jolly Roger Crew and Richard Launius.

At the booth I met lots of great people. I sold several pieces and had a couple commisions, which covered a good deal of my expenses. A few companies approached me about upcoming projects and art shows too.

The highlight of the show was winning "Best Color Work in Traditional Media" for the image above. The judges were Larry Elmore, Charles Urbach and Ed Beard Jr. Its pretty humbling to have your work judged by peoples whose work you have been enjoying for the past 20 years.

The first annual Origins gaming calendar featured a piece of mine too.

It was a great show and a wonderful experience!

No comments: